Gary Henrie goes to the temple, at age 86; Critical Access Hospital Conference in Boise, May 7, 2017
What did we do with our time this week?
So many tender mercies and miracles happen in our time on the earth, but it's so hard to take time to write them all down. I should just write a little bit each day. My mother's friend, in Bancroft, Barbara Payne, did that. She'd wrote just a little in her journal each night.
Here are a few of the things we did with our time on the earth this past week.
My nephew, Elder Caden White, is really struggling on his mission in Mexico. He has been having some stomach problems, and was supposed to have some tests and meet with a doctor on Friday, so we will hopefully hear what he found out on Monday, his usual Prep Day. His mom told me he is only drinking pop, and only eating one meal per day. We hope and pray he can get the help he needs.
Our Carl and Elizabeth have been working really hard in track. Carl ran the Chocolate Milk Mile a whole Saturday ago. He wanted to run at Elizabeth's high school meet at the Tiger Griz in Idaho Falls. His own team wasn't going, but his coach said he could go, with us. We took him out that day, signed him up, he warmed up, quiet all along. He then raced with 6th through 8th graders, about 25 kids. Carl started out slow, as usual, sped up and passed everyone in the second lap around, and stayed far ahead the rest of the way. The announcer said, "Who is this young man in maroon, where did he come from?" He egged on a young lady, who ended up sneaking up on him. However, Carl won the Tiger Griz Chocolate Milk Mile, with a time of 6:15, the fastest he had ever run it! He got a trophy and chocolate milk! He was one happy person!
Carl had his district track meet, as a 7th grader at South Fremont, on Friday. He finished the mile about the same time as at the chocolate milk mile, and he ran the 800 in 16 seconds less than the last time, about 2:43. We are really proud of Carl. He ran his best, even after his hurt left foot or ankle.
Elizabeth also showed true grit and determination as she has set new PR almost every week of her meets. She went to North Fremont and and Jackson this past week, and finally had good, sunny, warm weather. I will never forget when she ran two miles in the pouring rain at Star Valley. What a stalwart young woman she is in every area of her life. How we love our children.
Brandon and Heather are working on a special project. Brandon is talking about applying for a job at Proctor and Gamble. His Nielsen Marketing has had a change in philosophy, and he is burnt out. He works about 16 hour days. I know that sounds impossible, but he's been doing it, and it's showing. He is worn out.
Brandon did make Heather's dream come true, and they went to the Kentucky Derby, with Heather in a derby fancy hat and all.
Derek and Breanna are working on opening her business called Lily Lane Clothing. Breanna is very excited about it, and I guess you could say that Derek made Breanna's dream come true, with opening it. They are hoping to start selling some time in June.
I had a big "catastrophe" on Monday afternoon at the hospital. First, I had a huge blessing, and our lunch meeting with Human Resources, Dory Harris and Peter went splendidly. We rolled out our new checklists, and the Environmental Services (Housekeepers) were great. They all speak Spanish, I could tell they really wanted to try.
But in the middle, I got a phone call from my Chief Nursing Officer, that we had a suspected case of Tuberculosis walk into our clinic, then on to our Specialty Clinic, then to our Emergency Department. TB is a disease that is spread by airborne, meaning the person who has TB coughs, sings or speaks and the molecules are spewed out into the air; they float around and out a long ways and settle on the surface. People can around them can also breathe them in. I'll finish my story about that later.
The rest of the Monday afternoon, wasn't very good at all. Without all the details, Sandra Woolstenhulme and I made a plan to take care of all the employees that had been exposed. We made our plan, by the Centers for Disease Control Guidelines, checked with the doctor over that area, and then we split up and moved forward.
I spent the next three or four hours working as quickly and hard as I could to reach all the employees that had possibly been exposed, making lists, taking care of a couple of items that we knew needed to be addressed and taken care of.
After those hours, and after I had worked about 12 hours, my doctor, who I have had a good relationship with and worked on several hard infectious disease cases, came into the nurses station and let me know that he thought we did everything all wrong. I can't give names, or any more description or I would risk breaching confidentiality. Suffice it to say my heart was stunned and broken. He went on for about 10 minutes. I tried to explain why we did things the way we did, why they were following the CDC guidelines, etc.
Suddenly, I had something happen that I was not expecting. I felt a lump coming up in my throat. I was going to cry! "No, no, I said. Now not! It's OK. You're ok!" But it was too late. My soft old heart, let a couple of tears fall down my face. I was looking down, at the moment. Of course, I had three of my nurses around, watching all this, in the nurses station. And my hospitalist (ED provider) there, watching too.
When the doctor who was unhappy saw I had lost it, he said, "Stop. No! I'll be in big trouble, if they hear I made a lady cry! I didn't mean I was directing my comments at you. I meant the whole facility." But I was done by then. I excused myself and walked out of the nurses station.
The amount of stress and anxiety this one big event, not just the doctor chewing me out, but the whole afternoon and evening's event, caused me so much stress and anxiety over the next 8 or 9 days, that I can't even describe it.
I had to leave the next day, to drive to Boise, for the Critical Access Hospital Conference I had agreed to go to. So, I missed the rest of the week, that I would have worked at the hospital.
I have to insert here, that my time in Boise was wonderful. We stayed in the Riverside Hotel, which was beautiful, and there was a river walking belt, right outside the hotel, that I walked on two different times. The first day was CAH information. I met the lady from the state who gave us the grant for money to attend the conference. They had wonderful speakers. Truly good speakers that are nurses who have had success stories for things that matter to me, at our critical access rural hospital. I found a few new nurses or friends.
So many tender mercies and miracles happen in our time on the earth, but it's so hard to take time to write them all down. I should just write a little bit each day. My mother's friend, in Bancroft, Barbara Payne, did that. She'd wrote just a little in her journal each night.
Here are a few of the things we did with our time on the earth this past week.
My nephew, Elder Caden White, is really struggling on his mission in Mexico. He has been having some stomach problems, and was supposed to have some tests and meet with a doctor on Friday, so we will hopefully hear what he found out on Monday, his usual Prep Day. His mom told me he is only drinking pop, and only eating one meal per day. We hope and pray he can get the help he needs.
Our Carl and Elizabeth have been working really hard in track. Carl ran the Chocolate Milk Mile a whole Saturday ago. He wanted to run at Elizabeth's high school meet at the Tiger Griz in Idaho Falls. His own team wasn't going, but his coach said he could go, with us. We took him out that day, signed him up, he warmed up, quiet all along. He then raced with 6th through 8th graders, about 25 kids. Carl started out slow, as usual, sped up and passed everyone in the second lap around, and stayed far ahead the rest of the way. The announcer said, "Who is this young man in maroon, where did he come from?" He egged on a young lady, who ended up sneaking up on him. However, Carl won the Tiger Griz Chocolate Milk Mile, with a time of 6:15, the fastest he had ever run it! He got a trophy and chocolate milk! He was one happy person!
Carl had his district track meet, as a 7th grader at South Fremont, on Friday. He finished the mile about the same time as at the chocolate milk mile, and he ran the 800 in 16 seconds less than the last time, about 2:43. We are really proud of Carl. He ran his best, even after his hurt left foot or ankle.
Elizabeth also showed true grit and determination as she has set new PR almost every week of her meets. She went to North Fremont and and Jackson this past week, and finally had good, sunny, warm weather. I will never forget when she ran two miles in the pouring rain at Star Valley. What a stalwart young woman she is in every area of her life. How we love our children.
Brandon and Heather are working on a special project. Brandon is talking about applying for a job at Proctor and Gamble. His Nielsen Marketing has had a change in philosophy, and he is burnt out. He works about 16 hour days. I know that sounds impossible, but he's been doing it, and it's showing. He is worn out.
Brandon did make Heather's dream come true, and they went to the Kentucky Derby, with Heather in a derby fancy hat and all.
Derek and Breanna are working on opening her business called Lily Lane Clothing. Breanna is very excited about it, and I guess you could say that Derek made Breanna's dream come true, with opening it. They are hoping to start selling some time in June.
I had a big "catastrophe" on Monday afternoon at the hospital. First, I had a huge blessing, and our lunch meeting with Human Resources, Dory Harris and Peter went splendidly. We rolled out our new checklists, and the Environmental Services (Housekeepers) were great. They all speak Spanish, I could tell they really wanted to try.
But in the middle, I got a phone call from my Chief Nursing Officer, that we had a suspected case of Tuberculosis walk into our clinic, then on to our Specialty Clinic, then to our Emergency Department. TB is a disease that is spread by airborne, meaning the person who has TB coughs, sings or speaks and the molecules are spewed out into the air; they float around and out a long ways and settle on the surface. People can around them can also breathe them in. I'll finish my story about that later.
The rest of the Monday afternoon, wasn't very good at all. Without all the details, Sandra Woolstenhulme and I made a plan to take care of all the employees that had been exposed. We made our plan, by the Centers for Disease Control Guidelines, checked with the doctor over that area, and then we split up and moved forward.
I spent the next three or four hours working as quickly and hard as I could to reach all the employees that had possibly been exposed, making lists, taking care of a couple of items that we knew needed to be addressed and taken care of.
After those hours, and after I had worked about 12 hours, my doctor, who I have had a good relationship with and worked on several hard infectious disease cases, came into the nurses station and let me know that he thought we did everything all wrong. I can't give names, or any more description or I would risk breaching confidentiality. Suffice it to say my heart was stunned and broken. He went on for about 10 minutes. I tried to explain why we did things the way we did, why they were following the CDC guidelines, etc.
Suddenly, I had something happen that I was not expecting. I felt a lump coming up in my throat. I was going to cry! "No, no, I said. Now not! It's OK. You're ok!" But it was too late. My soft old heart, let a couple of tears fall down my face. I was looking down, at the moment. Of course, I had three of my nurses around, watching all this, in the nurses station. And my hospitalist (ED provider) there, watching too.
When the doctor who was unhappy saw I had lost it, he said, "Stop. No! I'll be in big trouble, if they hear I made a lady cry! I didn't mean I was directing my comments at you. I meant the whole facility." But I was done by then. I excused myself and walked out of the nurses station.
The amount of stress and anxiety this one big event, not just the doctor chewing me out, but the whole afternoon and evening's event, caused me so much stress and anxiety over the next 8 or 9 days, that I can't even describe it.
I had to leave the next day, to drive to Boise, for the Critical Access Hospital Conference I had agreed to go to. So, I missed the rest of the week, that I would have worked at the hospital.
I have to insert here, that my time in Boise was wonderful. We stayed in the Riverside Hotel, which was beautiful, and there was a river walking belt, right outside the hotel, that I walked on two different times. The first day was CAH information. I met the lady from the state who gave us the grant for money to attend the conference. They had wonderful speakers. Truly good speakers that are nurses who have had success stories for things that matter to me, at our critical access rural hospital. I found a few new nurses or friends.
Comments
Post a Comment