And Today was Christmas, December 25, 2017

Words can't express how much I love Christmas!
Today was a beautiful, blue sky, very little snow day here in Teton Valley.
I felt the Spirit near as we were able to be with Nikole, Elizabeth and Carl in our beautiful home.  "Grandma Rip", Blaine's mother, was able to come to  our house for Christmas Eve dinner of prime rib and stay for our usual Christmas Eve reading of the Christmas story from the scriptures and songs.  Elizabeth played the piano for us.  At the end, Carl and Elizabeth played one of their duets.  Grandma enjoyed that. 
Today, Grandma came back for a Christmas Dinner.  Today we had ham, home made rolls, which rose higher than they ever have for some reason - I joked that they rose their best for Jesus' birthday. 

I feel especially tender this Christmas, as we had the "scare" around Thanksgiving, when Blaine's mother was very ill.  He had asked me if I thought I could let his mom move in with us, she was that sick.  But she ended up having a urinary tract infection, and she did get better, after about a week.  So, she remains in her own home, 1/4 a mile up the mountain from us.  But I feel tender, knowing her time for passing can't be too long.

Meanwhile, Uncle Francis, was able to come home for Christmas.  His whole family was able to be with him.  I had a special moment last night, as Blaine and I and our three children went to visit him.  You can feel the Spirit close by, as Francis has advanced cancer, which has spread throughout his body.  He had a big surgery, which cut almost 1/4 of his face off in a surgery they elected to do, trying to cut out the cancer. 

When we were ready to head home, I went over and knelt down by Aunt LaRue, whom I have loved since I first moved here.  She is a lot like me - we love a lot of similar things.  LaRue has been through a lot the last year, trying to support her dying husband.  I knew her heart has been breaking, as she has watched his decline  At this time, he is sleeping mostly.  He sits up, but he has a neck pillow to keep his head up straight.  He has a big warm blanket over him, in his chair.  He is in and out of sleep.  It just breaks my heart, and I'm sure hers.

I knelt down by her, gave her a hug good-bye and asked how she is doing.  She started to cry; I started to cry.  She said she doesn't know what to do with him; she doesn't know what to expect.  I told her how Uncle Francis will just sleep more and more until he sleeps forever.  I told her he will eat less and less, drink less and less, until he is just done.  We talked about her options - right now he is still taking his chemo pill.  He cannot qualify for hospice while he is still taking chemo.  I explained on how to talk to him about the possibility of stopping the chemo pills, and getting some hospice services.  We talked about what happens if they stay in their home and get hospice here, or what if they go to Lori's and get hospice there.  What is they stay here, and Francis falls again - we talked about how you can just give him a pillow, and a blanket on the floor, until someone can get there to help him back up, if she can't get him up.

It was just very tender and sweet. and Lori and K'Lyn came over and listened in, as we talked.  I felt like my Patriarchal blessing was coming true - as I share my gifts or talents with others, I will be given more talents  . . .   I felt so peaceful and happy to share and lift another' burdens.  After I hugged each of them, I hugged Uncle Francis.  He is fragile and near death.  He was kind and gentle and spoke sweetly to me.  I love him.

Our Christmas has been "just royal, and wonderful".  I love to remember Jesus' birth and life.  It was fun to have Derek and Breanna here for almost a week before Christmas.  It's been fun to Facetime with Heather and Derek today.  I have the whole week off, except that I will go in Thursday to help with surgery and I will go in for a couple of hours to finish some policies that I need to do. 

We had  wonderful day together, and I've had a wonderful month, gathering the gifts for our family, making caramel and fudge, going to my father's 75th birthday party in Blackfoot, going to many parties, hosting an Andersen/Ripplinger fondue Christmas party, hosting the Dr. Brown and the orthopedic team and spouses Christmas dinner and white elephant gift party here, going to our ward party, giving gifts to my visiting teachers and to Blaine's home teacher families, receiving neighbors gifts, and exchanging gifts with my YW leaders that I love so much, giving gifts out to our YW - a bracelet that says peace - the new YW 2018 theme.

Blaine is a dear heart.  I am so blessed to be his wife.  I love our five children and our two new children.  I love Jesus Christ and his restored gospel.  I love Christmas.  I hate to see it end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blaine is the YM President, April 30, 2017

Family Trip to the Oregon Coast, Friday, July 21, 2017